How to Make Mismatched Furniture Work Together


Decorating can be difficult when you don't have a large budget.  Where do you start? How do you make all those pieces you've collected along the way work together? Here's how I took a bunch of mismatched second-hand furniture and pulled the decor together to give myself a brand new, stylish dining room.

I began accumulating furniture for the dining room when I first moved in. The furniture I had already was minimal and not really my taste - without a huge budget, I took my time choosing the right pieces for the right prices by buying second hand furniture.






I found the hutch for $100, the dining table for $50, one Windsor chair for free, one Ikea Windsor chair for $5, four matching Windsor chairs for $40, an old Singer wrought iron sewing table for $90, two sets of drapes for $10, a chandelier I bought new on sale for $75 and an Ikea wicker chair that I already owned. The curtain rods are from Ikea also, $15 each including finials. Total cost including paint: $460. It also took me 6 years to complete... oh well, small price to pay for my dream space!!

To give the dining room decor a more pulled together look, I painted all the walls in a shade of off-white that matched the drapes.  Matching the wall color to the drapes in a room helps to open up the space and make it seem larger.  Using the sewing machine table as the inspiration, I chose black as the accent color in the room and painted the chairs and the hutch black.  The curtain rods and chandelier are also black, neatly tying the whole look together. As the dining room table is almost the same shade of stain as the sewing machine table, I left the table as it was.

The new chandelier is now hung at an appropriate height (chandeliers should be between 30 and 34 inches above the surface of the table) and is a better size for the table than the chandelier I used to have.  The style of this chandelier compliments the new decor in the room and helps to pull the look together.  I spent under $500 for all my furniture, the chandelier and the paint and I got exactly the look I wanted.  A steal of a deal! With all the mismatched furniture now looking like a set and the white backdrop visually expanding the space my revamped dining room looks amazing!








Painting that old beadboard panelled wall was a BEAST.  It took me a whole day to get into all the grooves and cover up the beige paint.  The colour I chose is Behr Almond Cream, I love it!  When the paint fades (after about two months) it is a really creamy white that looks fabulous with wood furniture.  The black paint is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover Latex paint in flat black.




I haven't refinished the table yet as it has a very thin veneer which will not allow sanding.  Denatured alcohol is not sold in Canada (the only recommendation for removing the poly coat), so I am going to try to get the water stains out using toothpaste and baking soda.  If I can, I'll just recoat the table with more poly and if I can't, I'll be sanding and painting it.  Keep your fingers crossed that I can get the stains out!

Here's is the room with the leaf removed from the table and the wicker chairs removed from the space.



And here is the room again with my winter drapes in dark brown velvet.  



I love my new dining room!   

Have a great week!




Follow on Bloglovin

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Anne, what a change. It must feel like you have all new furniture and a whole new space. How exciting, and for such a great deal, lol. Love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the furniture was all bought separately. It looks like a beautifully expensive set. I really love the accessories you've added - the bowl and table runner add a lovely pop of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room is so lovely! I'm totally loving black these days - against just about any other neutral it just pops! I loved the hutch blue but black really makes a statement. You did a fabulous job! As always, an inspiration. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly, you've done it again, dear Anne! WOW WOW WOW!

    It looks absolutely amazing - hard to believe it is even the same place! Well done!!!!!

    Hop on over to read about my happy news! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne - Love your dining room. The black just pops so beautifully. Great job!

    Happy Fourth.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fun to have a record of the before and after to see how far you have come.

    Your dining room looks fantastic!

    What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything turned out beautifully! I love your new dream dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great change Anne. It looks fabulous. Your dream dining room is awesome.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne, your new dining room is beyond fantastic!! With the chandelier, the windsor chairs, and painting your aqua hutch black, it reminds me of some of the rooms in the beautiful Williamsburg, Virginia homes. So classic. You've given your furniture a look of "Importance". Love it! Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment! Thank you so much Bev, I couldn't be more flattered! xox

      Delete
  10. Ooooh, it looks beautiful! I love how everything looks like it belongs together... a set, but you found them all separately and for cheap!!! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black furniture is so sophisticated, classic and welcoming. The warm white is the perfect color to set off the sculptural quality of the furniture and chandelier, and yes, your lovely art and accessories. Another beautiful results from your vision and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Frances. I do love black furniture and this makeover worked out so beautifully I couldn't be more pleased!! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  12. Beautifu,l Anne. Beautiful work too. I like black furniture. Way back, I painted my spouse's furniture black. He loves it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved it when you showed it a few weeks ago but what a difference the lighter color on the walls make! It has turned out beautiful. And who is counting time? It takes time to get that pulled together eclectic look. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing? I knew it would look better but even I didn't anticipate how much better! Thanks Peggy!

      Delete
  14. I have liked seeing all the changes over the years. There is always an improvement and a fresh look. I have to say that the latest version is the most cohesive look so far. Everything really hangs together. I love the wall color too. Good luck with the table!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have liked seeing all the changes over the years. There is always an improvement and a fresh look. I have to say that the latest version is the most cohesive look so far. Everything really hangs together. I love the wall color too. Good luck with the table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Anne!....the dining room is so gorgeous!...you did a great job as usual...I love it all...it is just like you inspiration image!....you rocked this room!....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice Anne :-) You did a great job of replicating your inspiration room but making it an Anne room :-) It has a very calm & comfy look to it - the black really grounds the pieces and it stands out so nicely against the wall colour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks fabulous! I adore how the lighter walls brighten the space and brings all the attention to the black and wood pieces. You've done wonders transforming this room.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so stylish and co-ordinated, another great make over! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anne, Your room is lovely! You did a great job on everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love love love your new look! It look amazing!. I'm so glad that you hang your art on display.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember reading this post and thought I had left a comment about how much I love your dining room. But sometimes I think I forget to hit the publish button. Anyway, sorry you didn't hear from me. I do love the black mixed with stained wood. Looks great! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!